Specialty Service Dogs
Notice: Please take note that we no not provide any certification services other than our own dogs for a variety of different reasons.
- Does the type of request fall into our scope of practice/limitations and have realistic expectations?
- Based on the client’s needs, is it likely that we can locate and train a dog within a reasonable amount of time?
- Does the client (or family) seem realistic and accept our application, training, placement and follow-up practices?
- Is the client (or family) close enough to our facility to allow for follow-up services, or can other arrangements be made?
- Is the client capable of assuming financially the estimated annual cost of a service dog such as grooming, food, insurance, etc.
- Does the client (or family) appear able to adequately care for a service dog?
- Does the client (or family) have basic adequate knowledge for a service dog?
- Does the client live in an environment that would be safe, comfortable and spacious enough for a dog?
- Does the client demonstrate a desire to communicate with and become a partner with the Asista Foundation?
- Does the client have other animals at home that can harm the integration process of a service dog?
- Is the candidate old enough to interact with the service dog?
Meeting all the evaluation criteria does not guarantee acceptance of the program. The eligibility of a person is also subject to a thorough analysis of the application by the admissions department.
Important Notice Due to the consequences of COVID-19 on our activities and the high volume of requests in the past year, the Asista Foundation is no longer taking new applications for a temporary and indefinite period.